Friday, June 1, 2012

You know it's summer when ...

I start making this!

There are a couple versions of this salad around. I have really simplified it to just the core basics. You can always add more but I like it like this. I can't call it plain and simple - it packs way too much flavor for that. But easy - yes!

Woops - yah, there should be a picture .. but you can find those other versions here, here and here. Honestly I'd rather share really good recipes than worry about getting the right pic.

One version has sugar and melted butter in the dressing .. seriously? Others add chickpeas, corns, beans, etc which I think is fine but distracts from the lovely popping of the Quinoa (I'm a sucker for anything that pops in my mouth ... poppy seeds, figs ... ). And some add avocado but I don't like that it goes slimy in the fridge.

I make a ton of this salad (at least double) and then just eat away at it.

Hehe, Axel doesn't like it so it's mine, all mine! Well ... I do share with friends. It's just too good to keep it a secret.


Quinoa, Cilantro & Lime Salad

1 cup quinoa, uncooked

2 medium tomatoes, diced
3 scallions, chopped finely
1/4 cup fresh cilantro (coriander), chopped

Dressing:

the zest and lime of 1 lime
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Directions
  1. Rinse quinoa thoroughly and add to a pot of salted water (some cook in bullion, again - I don't bother). Bring to a soft boil and let bubble away for about 10 minutes or until the little tails on the seed loosen up.
  2. Drain thoroughly and at this point I allow it to cool down.
  3. In the meantime, chop the tomatoes, scallions and cilantro.
  4. Whisk the dressing together and then toss it all in a bowl with the cooled quinoa.
  5. Refrigerate and enjoy!
I'd tell you how long it stays good in the fridge but I don't know. Mine never lasts that long.

2 comments:

  1. HellO! Thank you for the wonderful recipes! i can't wait to bake the carrot cake, grapefruit cake, and to make this wonderful saLad!
    A question, if you will please forgive my confustion -
    Dressing instructions say:
    'the zest and lime of 1 lime
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt 1 cup'
    Please clarify for my old brain....is this specifying to total one cup of dressing, or to add one cup of some other ingredient? If i don't ask you, then i will awaken in the middle of the night and wonder if i have it wrOng :)
    Again, THANK YOU a MiLLiOn!
    Marise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. just ignore the 1 cup ... I'm not sure why it was there ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...